Understanding what to do when accused of a sexual assault offence is important since this is a serious charge that can ruin your life and reputation. So, you should retain a Toronto sexual assault lawyer first and do not be fast to plead guilty.
A sexual assault lawyer can help you through your case and win it or get a lesser charge. Here are key things you ought to know.
- Consequences Of A Sexual Assault Offence
If you are convicted of sexual assault, you could be jailed, handed a long prohibition, DNA order, prohibition on weapons, and your name put in National Sex Offender Registry for at least 20 years.
In most cases, the accused will claim that the complainant gave in to sexual activity. How strong is this defence? It is crucial to know that the law does not consider some scenarios supportive of the defence of the consent. Some instances of these are:
- When the victim has been advised of consent by another party though this is not common.
- When the complainant was not in a position to consent to the sexual act due to mental issues, intoxication, or is too young to consent.
- When the accused got consent from the complainant because he was in a position of power or authority over the victim.
- Situation where the complainant showed that she has withdrawn her consent by either her words or conduct. This also involves situations where the complaint consented but withdrew the consent in the midst of the action.
- Choosing The Right Sexual Assault Lawyer
To win a sexual assault case, you need to choose the best Toronto sexual assault lawyer. With so many law firms out there, it can be challenging for most people to choose the right one to represent them before the jury. When choosing a lawyer, the following tips can help you:
- Should Be Knowledgeable
The reason why you are hiring a Toronto sexual assault lawyer is that he knows better than you when it comes to matters of law. Therefore, the lawyer you choose must have a keen mastery of the profession. Should understand any changes in the law profession to be able to meet your goals.
- Years Of Experience
A lawyer could be knowledgeable about the sexual assault cases but if he has not practiced it and won cases, that should leave a question mark. Experience is key in every profession as this involves putting what you have studied into practice. Several years of experience are enough to win a case like this.
At least, if the lawyer you are considering has represented several clients, the clients should be able to recommend the lawyer. Read about those testimonials to understand your lawyer better.
Look for a Toronto sexual assault lawyer who charges reasonable legal fee for his services. Some may charge exorbitant fees that is not justifiable. However, don’t always go for those that are suspiciously low as that could mean a lot concerning their confidence and ability to win the case.